8/07/2007

Why I booed a wounded Iraq veteran at Lollapalooza...


At the end of Pearl Jam's performance to close out Chicago's annual Lollapalooza Music Festival in Grant Park, Eddie Vedder brought out a wounded Iraq War veteran to play on the crowds sympathy and build support for the anti-war movement, and as soon as he said the words, "...we need to end this illegal occupation in Iraq...", I couldn't help but break the crowd's respectful and attentive hush with the loudest BOOOOO I could muster.

Don't get me wrong, I respect that Marine as much as any other and I was not booing him, because clearly he has had an experience that I could never possibly understand, which is why I didn't start booing as soon as he started talking. My boos were meant for Eddie Vedder, who chose to turn my first Pearl Jam concert into my first peace rally, which is something I really don't appreciate.

Anyway, while booing and flashing W's (to show my respect for 'Dubya' and his policies) with both hands to the many thousands of dazed onlookers who I successfully distracted from the anti-war diatribe going on in front of us, I was suddenly bum rushed from behind by some extremely aggressive pacifists. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one in the crowd annoyed by the band's impromptu demonstration, so the hippies who took me on were quickly swept aside by my less vocal (but more rowdy) allies, while my friends wisely removed me from the situation while I still had my composure.

Interestingly, the pacifist started throwing punches at my new friends, which seemed to be counter-intuitive to the message of peace and reconciliation they had so passionately defended moments before. I learned just this evening that my friends didn't fair very well in the confrontation (which is the one thing I now regret the most). I am not going to judge them for letting their passions get the best of them, after all, I had just booed a paralyzed veteran because he was used as a conduit by a drunk rock star to trounce on my principles and generally exploit the vulnerable nature of his captivated audience. In fact, I think it is great that their are people who care as much as I do.

This is my first post in awhile because I have recently begun working during the day (like a big boy), but it is definitely the most interesting story I have had to tell in awhile, so I hope it was enjoyed. I know I might have overreacted, but I don't really care. Laura Ingram said it best when she entitled her book about politics and pop culture "Shut Up and Sing". Eddie Vedder, this means you!


Related content powered by Stuffablog


Lollapalooza Music Festival- 2007-08-03 2007-08-05

Yahoo Map image

Relevant pics from Flickr



Related News
Perry Farrell Wants To Take Lollapalooza Back On The Road And ... - MTV.com
Nichols: Censored show proves AT&T's bad faith - The Capital Times
Lollapalooza day 3: Pearl Jam censored by AT&T, Stooges, Yo La ... - San Francisco Bay Guardian
Pearl Jam closes Lollapalooza - Reuters Canada
Pearl Jam’s Fierce, Political Headlining Set Brings Lollapalooza ... - Rolling Stone
Pearl Jam's anti-Bush lyrics cut - BBC News

Powered by StuffaBlog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instead of "shut up and sing" how about you don't attend concerts if you don't want to hear opinions? Do you know anything about Pearl Jam? Almost every show has something political included so if you don't like that then don't go. If you like living in a world where people/stars don't have opinions go live in Cuba or some communist country where you can't have opinions. Music is art and has been political for years so deal with it. You had every right to boo and I am sorry people who don't respect your views decided to beat you down. I assumed they thought you were booing at a wounded war vet and not EV. I am glad EV decided to bring the vet out because maybe it will open people's eyes to all the soliders being killed for no reason.

Brian T. Edwards said...

Thanks for the comment, you make fair points.

The kids who became violent were definitely excited because they thought I was disrespecting the Vet. That is the reason I decided to post about it, because I mean it when I say it created quite a stir. Hopefully those whom my jeers aroused will stumble upon my post and better understand my motives.

I was well aware of Pearl Jam's political statements, and I have no problem with people making statements about how they feel about one issue or another. That is why I tried to make it clear that it was not until it became perfectly clear that the motives wasn't to benefit any of the troops, just some rock star's political agenda.

I totally disagree that what EV did on Sunday was appropriate, because this wasn't the Pearl Jam concert. This was the grand finale of a three day long festival. So basically Pearl Jam exploited the intoxication and emotional vulnerabilities of its fans, and fed them a cripple in a wheel chair who spouts nonsense about an "illegal occupation". I will not believe that EV has equal time for Vets that are more respectful of their commander and chief, because they do nothing to further his political agenda.

A lot of people attending the show are perfectly aware of what is going on in Iraq, and those that don't for whatever reason, are having their entire impression of a complex issue absorbed after a dozen 22 oz Budweiser in the 96 degree heat.

I was drunk too, and to be honest, I had slept for an hour of Pearl Jam's 2-hour show. I have been told it was awesome, and I have some funny pictures of myself sleeping on the Red Line with my face pressed up to the glass:)

Again, thanks for your comments and sorry for the long reply, coffee is strong this morning.

Anonymous said...

i understand your motives to a point and maybe it was not so appropriate for the veteran and the topic to be brought up, but your approach to it was equally inappropriate.

I am also surprised anyone still supports Bush. He has instilled fear into our security services, turning this country into a police state. His foreign policies too are extremely suspect and very blinkered. Not everyone wants to live like an American.

After you have been drafted (because YOUR government is planning it) and then come home (hopefully not in a body bag), then blog your opinions. I'm sure they will be very different.

Please engage the real news, stop watching Fox and taking a look around you. Our liberties are being taken away from us day by day, all in the name of protecting America.

Brian T. Edwards said...

I appreciate your comments, but you make an awful lot of assumptions.

First of all, I watch MSNBC, not Fox. I don't need Bill "Culture Crusader" O'Reilly or Sean "Evangelist" Hannity to feed me talking points on political issues. I think for myself thank you, and I find far greater pleasure listening to and constructing my arguments around Chris Matthews and his Democratic talking points. I also read the Financial Times, because when it comes down to it there really isn't any impartial American news outlet, so I prefer the third party perspective of the London-based newspaper.

Secondly, I have cousins and friends who have served multiple tours in Iraq, and every single one would have been equally disgusted with their fellow Marine. I am sure you think I am a chicken hawk, but if the best argument you can make is that because I don't have first hand experience I must not know what I am talking about, you sure as hell better be able to back that up with some first hand experience of your own. Maybe you are an Iraqi, maybe you are a Marine, but most likely you are a Bush-hating anti-war activist who doesn't have anything thoughtful to say, so you just call me naive.

Third, the draft has been proposed twice during Bush's presidency, both times by Democrat Charles Rangel. Both times it was killed with a near unanimous vote in the House, so when someone from MY government actually comes out in support of a draft I will let you know. I assume you are referring to the recommendations made by the General recently appointed by Bush to serve as "War Czar", whatever the hell that means, who is representing the interests of the military in front of Congressional Committees tasked with determining what is needed to effectively prosecute the war. His exact recommendation, made on an NPR program, was that the US should not rule out reinstating the draft because the military has become over-stretched since the invasion of Iraq. To be clear, I believe strongly that America should have a mandatory service program similar to those practiced in many states around the world, which would require every 18 year-old to serve two years in either a military or civilian capacity for their country, whether it be as a translator, Marine, or even Congressional staffer. The federal government is facing a serious employment crisis once the current generation of public servants reaches retirement, and unless we leave those positions vacant (also not a bad option) we are going to have to find ways to creatively fill these jobs.

Finally, I think you need to re-examine your thoughts on the state of America. I can't name one liberty that I have had taken away from me, except possibly the right to conspire to commit acts of terrorism without fear of government surveillance. Honestly, if you think the government is going to use unwarranted wire taps to bust you when you are smoking a joint with your buddies, then I suggest you lay off the grass because it is making you paranoid to an unhealthy degree. I am not trying to insinuate that you are a pothead, or accuse you of abusing marijuana, but simply trying to make a point. Bush is not going to use a terrorist surveillance program to take away civil liberties from American citizens for trivial reasons like the one I just suggested, because that would be the quickest way to loose favor with the Supreme Court.

I truly appreciate your comments and I encourage you to argue back. I hope you don't take offense to some of my comments, as I did not intend them to be rude, and those that could be interpreted as such are spoken tongue-in-cheek. I am sure this comment is far less coherent than I hoped it to be, but sometimes I get excited and carried away. I look forward to your reply.